Present Simple:- Maria plays tennis at the weekends
- She doesn’t study French.
- How many children do they have?
- In positive we use two conjugations. One is the simple form and the other is the “s” form (play/plays)
- In negative sentences we use the auxiliaries don’t and doesn’t and the verb is ALWAYS in the simple form. (She doesn’t work)
- In the question form we use auxiliaries do and does and also the verb goes in the simple form. The subject goes in between the auxiliary and the verb. (Do you work here?)
Present continuous- Maria is playing tennis.
- She isn’t studying.
- What are they doing?
- When we construct the present continuous we use the verb to be. Therefore we DO NOT USE auxiliaries do, does, don’t or doesn’t.
- Use the “ing” form after the verb to be.
|Present Simple||Present Continuous|
|Routines / Habits : Maria smokes||Actions happening NOW: Maria is smoking|
|Permanent Actions: Pedro lives in Sevilla||Temporary actions: Juan is staying at the Marriot hotel.|
|Current facts/truths: I have two brothers|
CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW TO DO ON-LINE EXERCISES: